Robert Lowell Russell* is a writer and trophy husband (obviously). He is a SFWA member and a member of the Writeshop and Codex writers' groups. He is a former librarian, a former history grad student, a former semi-professional poker player, and is now pursuing nursing degree (say "ah!").

Rob has also just noticed how outdated and lame his website has become and will be modifying it in the near future.

Update: Check out my NEW website (still in progress) at robertlowellrussell.com (it redirects to a wordpress account, but it's nice.

His stories have appeared (or will appear) in Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show, Penumbra, Digital Science Fiction, Daily Science Fiction (thrice!), Stupefying Stories (fice? what's the word for five?), and a whole bunch of other places (see complete list on the right side).

*RLR finds it a bit silly to write about himself in the 3rd person.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

I reveived my Writers of the Future semi-finalist critique

I received my Writers of the Future semi-finalist critique, and the prognosis for my short novella, "Star Heart, Skin of Darkness," is better than I expected (I may cut the last part of that title).

Wolverton/Farland said he wanted more detail (I've heard he's a details guy and I'm more of a minimalist) but that my novella was actually a bit too long for the contest. I guess blank space is counted? I suppose that makes sense for a print publication. So for what I had at 16K words by word processor count came out closer 22K by his measure. However, this did not disqualify my entry, which he said was very close to being a finalist.

What I think could have made it better is not trying to force the piece into a smaller space. He even said he could see my novella expanded into a novel. It's probably just the few scattered hours of sleep I've had (my daughter was up sick last night), but I feel weirdly giddy.

-RLR

No comments:

Post a Comment