Robert Lowell Russell* is a writer and trophy husband (obviously). He is a SFWA member and a member of the Writeshop and Codex writers' groups. He is a former librarian, a former history grad student, a former semi-professional poker player, and is now pursuing nursing degree (say "ah!").

Rob has also just noticed how outdated and lame his website has become and will be modifying it in the near future.

Update: Check out my NEW website (still in progress) at robertlowellrussell.com (it redirects to a wordpress account, but it's nice.

His stories have appeared (or will appear) in Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show, Penumbra, Digital Science Fiction, Daily Science Fiction (thrice!), Stupefying Stories (fice? what's the word for five?), and a whole bunch of other places (see complete list on the right side).

*RLR finds it a bit silly to write about himself in the 3rd person.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Setting and meeting goals: SFWA membership

A little over a year ago now, I decided to start writing and submitting fiction.  Because it's the kind of person I am, I had a "master plan" for how I was going to get my first novel published. A key part of that plan, of course, is actually WRITING a novel.  I haven't manage to finish one yet.  I'm working on it.  However, a step on that path to getting my first novel published was joining the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America group.

I did that today.  Yay! 

It's not like I get a magic pony, buckets of cash, an agent, or a huge contract just by joining (yeah, learning I wasn't getting that pony was pretty devastating).  I won't even get those things when I'm a full member with at least three SFWA qualifying sales.  I have one sale now. When Digital Science Fiction gets SFWA status, shortly after their one year anniversary, I imagine, I'll have two (and hopefully a third or more in the meantime).

Succeeding at anything is often about setting and meeting realistic goals.  Honestly, I didn't think I'd make it into SFWA as fast as I did, but count that as one goal met.  So now what?

Today, my next goal is going to be finishing a novel in the next year.

I also have some short stories in the works I'd like to finish.  I'd like to take as many cracks as I can at the Writers of the Future Contest before I become ineligible, so I'll split time between working on my novel and my stories, but I think I can manage both.

The one BIG thing complicating all of this is that I'm also an undergrad again, working on getting a nursing degree and qualifying for my RN.  Getting that day job MUST be my first priority, and I'm not settling for just qualifying for the BSN program (I'm pre-BSN now), I want to be among the best students in the program.  Plus I want to be the best father and husband possible, and lose sixty more pounds--I've lost 95 so far--not have the house fall apart around me, and accomplish a lot of other things(like earning straight As, so far, so good). 

I honestly don't know how the heck I'm going to do all that AND write a novel that doesn't completely suck, but I'm going to try.  Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment